A Fine Man Once Said:

"Part of the 10 million I spent on gambling, part of it on booze, and part of it on women. The rest I spent foolishly."

- George Raft





Wednesday, December 21, 2011

(The Return Of) The Walking Tour (Part Five): Citi Shoes


Its hard to believe the last segment of the walking tour was way back in May - but when you're chained to your desk, its hard to slip away to roam the streets looking for elegant footwear and such.

But with a few days off from work for the holidays, I packed my camera with the hope that I might come across some interesting men's shops and take a few pictures while I did my holiday shopping.

I've been up and down Park Avenue for years, and I've never noticed CitiShoes, a sort of old-fashioned (for New York City) looking men's shoe store. Located on Park Avenue between 56th and 57th Street, the store is literally right around the corner from Turnbull & Asser on 57th Street.



CitiShoes has a very wide-ranging selection of shoes. Signs above the wall advertise for brands such as Mephisto, Ecco, Rockport, and Sebago, alongside esteemed American shoemakers like Alden and Allen Edmonds and esteemed Northampton makers like Church's and Edward Green.


As there are really only a handful of shops offering limited models of Edward Green shoes (Leffot, Saks, Ralph Lauren, Brooks Brothers), its somewhat noteworthy (for me anyway) when one comes across a new distributor. Of course, CitiShoes may have been selling Edward Green shoes for years for all I know while I've literally been cluelessly walking right by the window display all this time. I do recall the Church's display, but I don't recall the Edward Green's, so I'm guessing that this is a fairly recent development. In any event, prices are basically what you'll see in most shops (a little north of $1000), but one never knows when a random model might be discounted.

If you're in the area, such a wide range of offerings is worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment